Friday, May 27, 2005

I eat too much...yet I'm not fat

I've begun to realise that I eat too much bad fatty food.
maybe I should cut back a little.
Well anyway I'm having so much fun now, I've got a free for another hour before I have to walk up to the cinema to buy my ticket for Star Wars.
Have you ever thought about how the saying, "We won't leave a stone unturned", that line has become cliche'd now, yet has anyone thought about how truly hard such a task is to do?
If you had to turn every stone you saw you would be spending a long time at it.
Now on to other matters, I have again started to try and write the first chapter of the Guardian Universe, and its bleeding hard, I have to get the start perfect, as it sets the stage for the rest of the events to come and its no small wonder I alwasy steer away from it and write the battles and stuff.
So far I've decided on a kind of dramatic sunrise on Icaria and the Fields of Algaranna, and it introduces Aerie, Sigurd and a black cloaked figure who you can probably guess who it is. However I've noticed that half the reason its so hard is because i haven't done adequate planning for the entire chapter, and what characters I allow to be introduced.
It would be a problem to introduce every single character in the first chapter, as you can see from my last blog I have fifty didn't characters, and some aren't even in the same timeline as the others.
Did I mention that I have three timelines? I am planning to write it so that they all tie into together, so they all have to be devloped together, which is slowing me down a little. And I haven't even really given a serious stag at the second timeline.
Three books in each timeline, and one final book to be rid of any loose ends that are hanging in the air, and which will have the final battle in it. If you don't like fights then you won't like my story, I can be quite a gory writer, when the mood takes me, or a rather depressing writer.
But seriously I really need to sit down and get the first chapter finished satisfactory, or I won't ever start.
I also need to catch up on a lot of school work.
Maybe tonight.
On another note, what some people consider good, some consider crap, while these differing opinions often result in clashes, someone who considers something like Star Wars as crap is a fool, who hasn't really experienced the Star Wars magic and is too focused on comparing it to other films. So what if Star Wars is mostly about its fantastic fight scenes, Lord of the Rings was, Matrix was, X-Men was and many other big blockbuster films.
These films make more money than a lot of other, supposedly higher quality films because they cater for a much wider group of people.
And Star Wars Episode III has recieved some of the best reviews I have ever seen, it rated better then Lord of the Rings.
If you didn't like it, put up with it, your almost alone, in your complete disgust of the movie.
I'll love this series of movies no matter what is thrown my way. Star Wars is and will forever remain cool.

And that's my bit.

8 comments:

Richard said...

I may be no fool, but I didn't like RotS at all. Or at least I didn't like the 45 minutes of it I could force myself to sit through. I'm not focused on comparing Star Wars to other films, I just found some if not all of the dialogue to be nauseatingly cliched. And believe me, I am nowhere near alone in thinking this. But if you can sit through the whole thing without feeling the urge to projectile vomit out of every orifice then good luck to you. Enjoy the movie.

I'll agree that X-Men and Matrix II and III were mostly about the fight scenes, but LotR and the FIRST Matrix movie are based on fantastic stories.

Hmm... Of course, these are MY opinions - likely to be just as flawed as anyone else's. Um, really, I guess you should assume everyone's speaking out of some external influence. Believe in whatever makes sense to you. Whoa, I guess all this excess was sort of pointless, then, wasn't it? Um, well, you better get going, it's Tuesday, and you know what THAT means - U.F.O's! RUUUN!!

Lego Star Wars The Video Game is awesome though ^_^

Wolf-bones said...

Matrix II and III sucked balls, and so does Star Wars Episode III. You have let your arrogance blind you. Without even seeing the movie, you are willing to call anyone who doesn't like it a fool, simply because they have a different opinion than you.
You say you'll love the movie no matter what it's like. Well, you've already shown that to you the quality of the movie is immaterial. You don't even CARE if the movie is crap. Even if it is you won't admit it. And it's the same for the millions of Star Wars fans out there. This is the LAST Star Wars film, ever. Everybody wants it to be good, so they tell themselves it is.
I didn't compare Star Wars to anything else. I just watched it. And you know what I saw? Bad acting. Bad scripting. POINTLESS FIGHTING that failed to evoke any reaction from the viewer. Oh wow, now it's a high speed chase on a spinny thing and a gecko. Part of the goal of any movie is to make you CARE what happens, and this movie didn't even try.

Star Wars isn't about fantastic fighting. It used to be about something more. It used to be about story, characters, plot. Remember plot? Yeah. Those were the good days. Now, even if you want to claim that the new series of Star Wars movies is about fighting, it is far from fantastic. I can hear you saying "C'mon, how can you say that a guy with FOUR lightsabers isn't fantastic?" but that sort of shit isn't what makes a good fight. That doesn't make it interesting.
Also, Kubsey is right. Lord of the Rings and the first Matrix movie were about storyline. That's why everyone loved them. And that's why everyone said the the second and third Matrix movies were such a fucking dissapointment. Because all it was was two hours of slow-motion fighting and half an hour of story. But at least there was half an hour of story. That's more than can be said for Revenge of the Sith.
And the worst part is, you think that supporting a movie like this makes you more of a Star Wars fan than me. You choke down this shit, saying "Yes please, give me more" instead of doing what you should be doing and that is demading quality. Star Wars has a rich universe, with so much potential, and it's been squandered.
If you were a real Star Wars fan you'd be as outraged as I am.

Richard said...

Eeek. So much for being diplomatic...

The Maneuver said...

Yeah, I completely disagree with people who have naysayed SW3.
But not for the reasons they're saying I disagree with them.
Of course it's a matter of opinion, and in my opinion I disagree. Pointless fighting? Where? I don't see any. Sure, that fight bw Obi-Wan and General Grievous left something to be desired, mainly because it was forced drawn out. It should have ended in two minutes, and personally I didn't buy into the idea of Grievous being so good he could take out a Jedi. Especially an armed Jedi. And how come you thought we'd think that the four lightsabers were a highlight? The only good part about that was seeing Obi-Wan disarm him with apparent ease.
The only possible reason I can see why people have said that the film has no story is because we already knew what was going to happen. Sure, Lucas could have dealt with that by throwing in a few surprises, but personally I saw no reason to.
But you're right about one thing. I am outraged. I'm outraged that you're claiming that we're not a real Star Wars fans just because we disagree with you about the latest movie. Everyone has the right to their own opinion. I may disagree with you but in the end I know that it's just a movie. It's not the be all and end all.
I could go on. But honestly, I don't give a flying fuck if people disagree with me. It's my opinion that counts to me, and it's yours that counts to you, and lets leave it at that.
LC out.
P.S. You're saying that Matrix II sucked, and yet you actually liked Lord Of The Rings? Our opinions must differ more than I thought.

Eledor said...

Strangely enough those responses were exactly what I was expecting, and if I seemed arrogant I apologize, General Greivous was disappointing but then again Obi Wan was one of the most powerful Jedi ever, and what do you mean these newest films lacked storyline, or plot. The first Movie was about palpitine getting onto the senate, the second movie, about him gaining his first political powers, its actually remisicent of how Hitler came to power. And it was also about Anakins fall to the Dark side of the force, the destruction of the entire Jedi Order. Sure it had cliched lines, so what, the first movies are full of them as well.
I will admit the plot of the second movie did completely disappear at times however, it was still fun to watch. Star Wars did not ever try to make some kind of deep impression on people, it was a story about the Sith's return, and eventual defeat. Actually I don't read my blogs once I finish them so if I actually insulted anyone I apologize, most of the things I say are complete crap anyway.
And what's not cool or slightly funny about Vader shouting, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
It was one of the best scenes in the movie...seriously!

Richard said...

Question: If Star Wars did not ever try to make some kind of deep impression on people, then what is the "Star Wars magic" of which you speak?

---

I didn't say that the other movies didn't have cliched lines, it's just that I found them unbearable to sit through in this one. I had hoped for better from the last Star Wars movie.

Eledor said...

Okay let's get something straight.
You who only sat through the first 45 minutes of Star Wras are trying to say it was crap.
The movie went for more then two hours. And the first bit was designed to offset the far darker rest of the movie.
You have to remember little kids go to watch this movie and the kind of stuff, that you would consider great in a movie would not be suitable for little kids. Star Wars is for all bleeding ages, put up with it.
And what's the problem with cliched lines, a lot of them used to be the top of comedy, kids find them fresh and they are often actually rather witty.
And if you mean lines like, join the darkside, that line first came from star wars, and therefore it can't be cliched in the Star Wars universe.
For crying out loud the last half of the movie even has Anakin kill little kids!

Richard said...

Hmm... Now that you mention it...

"People go to the movies today to see movement more than story, and then you end up with something like the third episode of The Matrix."
-Yoshiyuki Tomino