Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Is blogging really worth it?

The main reason I started blogging was to showcase story ideas and get criticism on them, constructive in nature.

I don't like talking about me, I'm more interested in other people then myself. I'm boring, slightly eccentric maybe but in a boring meandering way.

I like my stories, and I'm excited when I get the chance to share them with others. I've been in the process of planning them for most of my life. They have been influenced by the many books I've read, shows and movies I've seen.

I even decided to try and create an original world for the DnD game I made up for my brother and friend, and have thus far, made another massive world, with numerous sub-plots happening at once. And I plan to write that into a book eventually, when I get the chance to, using the characters those two decided to make as the central characters. Chronicles of Ovaleen is still a Guardian Universe Story, thus it still has the same Pantheon of Gods, and many of the same characters from the others, though as it is a different world, they are also different, not carbon copies of their other identities.

I am a good writer when I set my mind and time completely to it, but as of late the stories I have showcased on this blog, have been hastily put together things, that I wrote in ten minutes. So they are not my best work, possibly verging on my worst and over commarised.

Anyway point I'm trying to make is, I didn't put up this blog to bitch about my life and talk about personal troubles, I put it up to talk about things that interest me, at the moment that's my story. The Real world is in many ways crap and boring to me.
I was actually going to use this blog to write about my characters, but its hard to show how truly complicated most of them are in a blog, I just find it hard to write properly on a computer. Its much more easy to write naturally with a pen and paper.

None of my characters can kill fifty people without raising a finger, or barely raising a finger, except for the ones who happen to be virtually demigods, and they are few and far between, unless you count ordering people to do it for you the same thing.

Now Eledor is more a reflection of me when I'm in a serious mood, hie height is the same as mine, his weight would be the same as mine if I bulked up a little. And he's all about tragedy, almost all of his loved ones died in his arms, he's introverted and aloof due to that fact, and can very easily loose his temper and go berserk when those remaining of those he cares about are put in danger. He finds it hard to fit, when I first started writing Eledor as a character in my stories, a lot of his thoughts and actions reflected what I would've done. Feeling like an outsider and all that. The Saudes Saga particularly focuses on hi as a character.
Though the Realm would give him his most human portrayal as he possesses no special power, his strength and speed are not so superior to the other characters, and he has had less time to experience the world.
Eledor is essentially, personality wise a darker me, not the me I show to everyone but the me I don't show, the angrier and more bitter me, he is also in a way a tragic hero.
My other character Finn, represents a bit more of my traditional role, I take in Roleplaying games, the stand up guy, who fights the good fight, despite the many foes in his path, though again he has a bit of bitterness, and my grumpiness in him when I get a bit stressed.
Aeries is extremely important to the progression of the story, while Eledor remains largely static and slowly changes, Aeries is the character who grows more and more confident, grows up in her attitude to life, and generally develops, into one of the strongest characters of the story.

Now the last post was simply a fifteen minute rant by me, and I got over it, just remember I had people making fun of my story or saying it was crap all through Year ten, so I "REALLY" don't like people saying its boring, it reminds me of that time and I arc up.

Anyway, I'm sleep deprived and slightly grumpy still at the moment.
Let it be known that I will never touch on anything said in the "Screw this" post every again, I don't like looking at those parts of my life that I hate and won't go back there.

Anyway, I don't have to get up till nine or ten tomorrow!
Yay for me!

4 comments:

tendafoot said...

Simon, I didn't tell you to change your blog. You were complaining that nobody comments, and I told you honestly why I don't comment and what it would take for me to comment on your blog.

I never said you were boring, I said I wasn't interested. You chose to twist that, even after I explained that it wasn't the case. I'm sorry if it hurts you that I'm not interested. But like I said, I try. I can't change what I do and don't like, and I thought you would understand that.

Eledor said...

Did I change my blog?

tendafoot said...

No, but the whole tone of your post is written in the form of a response. A rebuttal, if you will. As though someone had told you that it's wrong to have a blog about your story.
And it's pretty clear who you're responding to, though you're seeing critisism that's just not there.

I understand that you're stressed, and I'm sorry if I made you feel attacked.

Eledor said...

Cool, I illicited a response...